Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Soulful Is As Soulful Does

I have a rabid hatred for country music. It's not only because of the tired stories about beer, unrequited-trailer-park love, and pick-up trucks, though the dull-witted lyrics contribute handsomely to my disdain. To me, country music lacks soul, and I feel nothing when I hear it. I'm starting to get that same feeling about people.

I've used the word soulful more times than I can count over the last month (which has been the strangest 4-ish weeks in a long while). I've used it to compliment my dearest friend. I've used it describe my 11-year old niece. Mostly, I've used it to rationalize my cynicism about dating. As much as I'd like to argue with my logic, I can't.

The technical definition for soulful is: expressing or appearing to express deep feeling.

I've simplified my definition to: expressing depth beyond handbags, fingernails, and exercising.

In the interest of joining the dumbing-down fad, maybe soulful should mean: demonstrating the abilities to breathe and to produce sound from one's mouth.

I realize that small-talk has its place, and that not all conversation is as meaningful or poignant as others. I have accepted that. But Jesus, even small-talk provides one an opportunity to demonstrate witty humor and gulp......depth!!

Rant over. It has been a slow summer for furniture. Maybe I'll start painting plastic swimming pools to symbolize how shallow the gene and people pools have become.


Nothing metaphorical about this photo


No comments:

Post a Comment