Friday, May 15, 2015

Lunatic Binge Songs

My proclivity to binge watch shows on Netflix is actually quite frightening. I rationalize my obsession by saying, "It's just background noise while I paint furniture, and it's certainly more entertaining that watching paint dry." I've completed more than a few series, and I'm up-to-date on several others. I would like to rank the shows in a future post, but for now, I wanted to share some songs I've discovered along the way.

I'm really picky when it comes to music. It's probably one of the most-hated traits  faults of mine if you were to ask those who know me. I am who I am, I like what I like, and I apologize to no one. That I've sought to download five songs from shows I've watched is nothing short of a miracle. I've wondered to myself if I hadn't heard these songs within the context of the shows I was watching at the time, would I still like them? The short answer: A few,


"Shambala" by Three Dog Night. I cannot believe I had never heard this song. My sister swears it was oft-played at a bar we used to frequent, but I always remember songs I like. I loved this song the moment I heard it during a "Lost" binge. I listen to it frequently now, especially when I need a musical "cheer-me-up."




Mazzy Star? Who in the fuck is Mazzy Star? I caught Into Dust while watching an episode of Rectify (a very philosophical series with brainy dialogue). It's not a brilliantly-composed song.....it's just a simple song by a woman with a heavenly voice.




If I heard Arabella by Arctic Monkeys randomly, or if a friend recommended that I listen, I'm not certain I would have liked it. The lyrics are stupid, the song tells the story commensurate with a B-movie, but the tune is catchy (think they slightly plagiarized the guitar and drums on War Pigs), and I heard it while watching Peaky Blinders ( a show that is 40 perfect episodes away from dethroning Breaking Bad as all-time greatest show). I don't listen to it often, but it's on my playlist.




I am Stretched on your Grave is by far the most poignant song on this list, and one of the most poignant my ears have ever heard. Sadly, I don't fancy this version as much as the version in Peaky Blinders. Still, a fantastic song.




The perfect song to perfectly end the perfect series. This is another song I'm not sure I would like had I heard it under different circumstances. It's just the last reason Breaking Bad is, by far and away, the greatest television series ever produced.




11 days, 4 hours, and 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment